The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities collaborates with campus and community partners to support student development by upholding community standards.
Florida State University Civility Statement: Uphold the Garnet & Gold
Respect, Responsibility, Reflect
- Demonstrating respect for ourselves and others
- Taking responsibility for yourself and those around you
- Reflecting the values of Florida State
Florida State University is a diverse community with a longstanding tradition of respect for the dignity and worth of each person. We recognize the importance of disagreement and informed debate for a dynamic learning environment, we also expect each member of our community to embrace the values of civility and ethical conduct and share in the responsibility to promote these values. Uphold the Garnet and Gold by demonstrating respect for ourselves and others, taking responsibility for yourself and those around you, and reflecting the values of Florida State.
The goals of SRR include:
- developing, informing, and enforcing campus policies and procedures as it relates to student conduct
- protecting the rights of students and individuals in the community
- providing fundamental fairness and objective review of student behavior
- promoting and encouraging student involvement in and respect for campus governance through student conduct boards
- fostering learning opportunities through student conduct procedures and educational sanctions
- creating a respectful atmosphere which encourages open communication of values and ethical behavior
- initiating educational programs that strive to minimize conduct policy violations
Philosophy of Discipline
A humanistic approach to discipline is used whenever possible. The University Student Conduct system and appeals processes are designed to provide and help maintain an atmosphere within the University community that is conducive to academic pursuits. Serious disciplinary action against a student, such as separation, is considered and invoked only when other options fail to meet the needs of the University’s mission.