• Daytime: 644–7161
  • After Hours: 644–1234, ask to speak to an advocate (does not require you speak to an officer or initiate a police report)

Victim Advocate Program

A close-up photo of one of the torches in the fountain at the University Center A

Frequently Asked Questions

How Does the Victim Advocate Program Work?

Our Services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL.

  • Advocates respond to victims 24 hours a day to provide crisis intervention and appropriate referral.
  • Weekdays, contact an Advocate by coming to offices 4138, 4139, or 4143 building A University Center or by calling 644.7161, 644.2277 or 645.0086.
  • For Evening and Weekend emergencies, call 644.1234 (FSU Police Department). Ask to speak to a victim advocate. They will call an on–call advocate who will promptly call you back.

Why Does FSU Need Victim Advocacy?

FSU recognizes that the university campus is a community of its own and that it holds a responsibility to that community. Victims in any community should have access to appropriate and compassionate support for their needs as well as access to advocates in legal and educational processes. Florida State University established the Victim Advocate Program to provide those services.

Who can use the Victim Advocate Program?

Victims of crime, both men and women, who are FSU students, employees, those victimized on FSU's Campus, or those victimized by an FSU student.

  • Victimizations include sexual assault, sexual battery, relationship violence, stalking, harassment, robbery, theft, identity theft, home invasions, homicide, manslaughter, etc.

What Services are Offered?

At the request of the victim; a victim advocate will:

  • Contact professors and employers on the person's behalf.
  • Contact Financial Aid and Withdrawal services when a victimization impacts grades.
  • Provide appropriate referrals:
    • To individual counseling services and support groups.
    • To medical services – an advocate can accompany a victim to any of the Tallahassee hospitals or the Wellness center for anything related to a victimization.
    • To Legal and Judicial services – an advocate can accompany a victim and assist in filling out paperwork; attend judicial proceedings; maintain contact with the police department, State Attorney's Office and FSU Office of Student's Rights and Responsibilities regarding the student's case.
    • To Student Housing – temporary lodging can be arranged for FSU student victims when an unsafe condition exists or for parents who come to provide support to the student during the time of crisis. The program can also request relocation within Student Housing or release from contract.

The Victim Advocates are ultimately here to listen and provide support.

Will I Have to File a Police Report?

No, you are not required to fill out a police report.

Are there Educational Services Offered through VAP?

The Victim Advocate Program offers educational presentations to campus organizations on various victim issues. For more information or to schedule a presentation, please contact 644.7161 or 644.2277.

Return to
top of page