Student Disability Resource Center

Photo of the SDRC lobby

Emotional Support Animals

All Emotional Support/Assistance animal requests must be submitted to the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) office located in 108 Student Services Building, 874 Traditions Way, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. In order to consider the request the SDRC must have a completed application and appropriate supporting documentation on file.

Documentation must specifically address:

  1. That the animal is required because of a disability
  2. Why or how the animal is necessary to afford the individual an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling
  3. Why the animal (rather than other treatments) is required to provide this specific support to the student.

An identifiable relationship between the disability and the assistance the animal provides must be explained and justified.

Documentation must be from a licensed physician, psychiatrist, social worker, or other mental health professional, on letterhead, signed and dated.

After the SDRC has approved the accommodation of an Emotional Support/Assistance animal, the student is responsible for:

  • Completing University Housing’s Service Animal Agreement
  • Providing evidence to University Housing that the animal is in good health, and has been vaccinated against diseases common to that breed of animal as recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Veterinary records attesting to that fact must be submitted and approved priorto the animal taking residence.
  • The student will meet with a Residential Life liaison prior to the animal taking occupancy in order to review the agreement and expectations.

Return to
top of page